Consumers report acts of intimidation
By rgadmin on June 11, 2015
Categories: Right to Choose
The IGA frequently hears about steering and stealing incidents from our members. Judging from the number of complaints and reports sent to us, there appears to be many cases of third party claims processing companies influencing customers to have their windshield replaced at a particular glass shop. The Independent Glass Association is asking for your help to send us information so that we can assist our members to seek a resolution to these issues and you can help. Click Here for a form that you can use to record and share specific information about steering or stealing incidents. Please submit a Steering/ lost job Incident Report to the IGA every time you encounter this situation.
Listed below are examples of steering. These examples are not exhaustive, and other incidents of steering, attempted steering; stealing and attempted stealing should be reported.
- An IGA member arrives at the job site only to find out the damaged glass has already been repaired or replaced.
- An IGA member arrives at the job site and finds another glass company also at the job site.
- While an IGA member is at the job site performing the work, another glass company arrives to perform the work.
- When the claim is reported, the person taking the first notice of loss call attempts to convince the customer to use a glass shop other than the one the customer has chosen (whether or not the customer is actually convinced to go to another glass shop).
- The customer, after reporting the claim, receives one or more “follow up” telephone calls from a network or someone else in an attempt to convince the customer to use a glass shop other than the one the customer has chosen (whether or not the customer is actually convinced to go to another glass shop).
- A network, third party administrator or other entity calls the glass shop indicating that a customer wants to use the glass shop but the customer will not be identified and the job not dispatched unless the glass shop agrees to perform the work for a proposed price.
As a Minnesota resident, you have the right to choose the glass company of your choice. Rapid Glass is a quality auto glass replacement company and never bills the customer the difference between what we bill and what the insurance company reimburses us, unless you have a deductible and then that’s all you pay, nothing more!